Skills and experience required:
- Experience of working within the health and safety sector in a professional capacity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Enthusiasm and friendly approach
- Previous knowledge of animal welfare organisations would be advantageous but is not necessary.
How this helps the SAA:
The work of an animal rescue involves many different risks and challenges for the staff and volunteers, from working with cleaning products to handling equipment. We also receive daily visits from the public, and our staff and volunteers may work off-site at home visits or fundraising events. The SAA is looking for an adviser to work with the SAA manager to ensure all safety legislation is being adhered to, and policies and practices are adopted by staff and volunteers. They will help plan, implement, monitor and review the protective and preventative measures required, to minimise health risks and accidents.
What is involved:
- Reviewing existing health and safety documentation, and making amendments and/or additions where necessary to ensure they comply with legislation.
- Reviewing and developing health and safety policy and strategy.
- Outlining safe operational practices, identifying relevant hazards.
- Support with carrying out risk assessments and keeping records of risks, incidents and accidents.
- Advising on a range of specialist areas, from the use of cleaning products to the handling of heavy objects.
Time commitment required:
This role is flexible and can be done on any day of the week to suit. We ask for a minimum commitment of 7 hours per month. Some work may be done from home.
How will we support you:
Your contact will be the Chair of Trustees, who will have overall responsibility for health and safety. They will provide you with day to day support, information, guidance and direction. You will receive an induction into the charity, to ensure you are knowledgeable about the work we do.
What you can gain from volunteering with the SAA:
- Meeting and working with new people
- Develop existing skills
- The experience of using your skills and abilities to ensure the SAA is a safe place for all our staff, volunteers and visitors; which in turn benefits the animals in our care.